E-3 Australian Visa

The E-3 visa is exclusively reserved for Australian nationals. The visa allows Australian Professionals to come to the U.S. solely to perform services in a specialty occupation, similar in many aspects to the H-1B nonimmigrant worker visa. The term “specialty occupation,” is used and defined in the Immigration and Nationality Act in the same context as the H-1B visa program, and will be interpreted in accordance with the criteria used for H-1B’s.

Family of E-3 Visa Holders, the spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age, are entitled to the same E-3 classification. The spouse is entitled to work authorization, but not the children. This is a significant benefit not available to many nonimmigrant dependent spouses. The work performed by the spouse of an E-3 does not have to meet any particular requirements.

To be eligible, the Australian citizen must:

  • Be a national of Australia.
  • Have a legitimate offer of employment in the United States.
  • Possess a bachelor’s degree or higher (or its equivalent).
  • Will fill a position that qualifies as a specialty occupation.